About Troop 720

General Information

  • Started in 1998. Chartered by Mt. Vernon Baptist Church (MVBC).
  • Currently, approximately 25 active Scouts and 18 active Adults.  Our adult leaders have a combined 150+ years of experience as trained Scout Leaders.
  • Meetings every Monday night, year-round, 7:00-8:30 PM at MVBC.
  • Contact the Scoutmaster - scoutmaster@troop720.org 
  • Contact our Recruiting Coordinator for more information – recruiting@troop720.org   

Boy Led

  • Elected troop leaders: Senior Patrol Leader, Assistant SPL, Scribe, Librarian, Chaplain's Aide, Historian, Quartermaster, Troop Guide, Instructor, Troop OA Representative, etc.
  • Patrol method: Boys placed in patrols of about 8-10. Boys elect their own Patrol Leader, Assistant Patrol Leader and Quartermaster.
  • Meetings: Boys run the weekly meetings: opening, planning, skill, game, and closing.
  • Patrol Leaders Council (PLC): Boy leaders plan activities and discuss details about the troop.
  • Boys camp together. Patrols plan menus, set-up campsite, cook by patrol, sleep in tents.


  • We camp 11 to 12 months of the year. Sample trip types each year: touring military bases and historic battlegrounds; canoeing and kayaking on lakes and rivers; hiking and/or backpacking in the mountains; participating in District Camporees; biking; skiing; indoor climbing centers; conservation projects on land & water; pumpkin chunkin’ competition.
  • Summer camp is usually the 2nd or 3rd week of July.  We attend HOVC’s Camp T. Brady Saunders in some years, and get variety by going to out-of-council camps in other years. 
  • Special trips may occur for older boys: Philmont, Florida Sea Base, high-adventure trips
  • Campouts usually cost $25 - $40 per person to cover food, travel and activity fees. Bigger trips will cost more. Fundraising profits above target shared with the boys to pay for camps.
  • Boys need certain gear for camping: sleeping bag/pad, mess kit, hiking boots, water bottle, small day pack, synthetic clothing, rain gear, etc.  A detailed list will be provided. 
  • Order of the Arrow (OA): Eligible scouts are nominated by Scoutmaster, elected by peers.


  • Boys advance in rank by demonstrating Scout spirit and skills, completing requirements, being active in the troop, serving in leadership positions, participating in community service, and earning Eagle-required and elective Merit Badges.
  • A Scoutmaster conference is held to confirm the boy has satisfied the Rank requirements.
  • A Board of Review is held with three Committee members to discuss troop matters with the scout and pass final confirmation.
  • Advancement documentation is presented during the quarterly Courts of Honor.
  • Special training is required to carry and use knives, axes and fire-starting materials.

Requirements of Boys

  • Regular participation in troop meetings, activities, camping, service projects, fundraisers. 
  • Have proper Scout spirit - according to the Scout Oath and the Scout Law.
  • Wear field uniform (“Class A”) at meetings, during travel to/from, and at other designated times: Scout shirt (with properly placed patches), neckerchief (or bolo as allowed), Scout pants/shorts, Scout socks, Scout belt, Scout hat, and have Scout handbook. 
  • Pay dues:  Typically about $138-$155 the first year, then about $98-$110 per year thereafter, if $50 profit fundraising goal is met.  (Fees subject to change; January 2018 values)  
    • BSA annual dues                      $33     (12 months; prorated for joining mid-year)
    • BSA insurance                          $  5     (Unit insurance fee paid at Recharter only)
    • Boys’ Life magazine                  $12     (optional; 12 months; prorated for mid-year)
    • Troop annual dues                    $60     (in addition to the $50 Fundraising obligation)
    • New Member T720 items         $45      (“720” #’s, hat, t-shirt, neckerchief/slide, loops)
  • Fundraising:  Scouts are expected to raise $50 of profit for troop through annual fundraisers (popcorn/peanuts, Christmas wreaths, mulch in March/April, camp cards). $50 amount subject to change.  Fundraising profits above the target are shared with the scout to use toward camping fees.  Scouts who do not raise the $50 through fundraising agree to pay the shortfall at year-end. 

Requirements of Adults

  • BSA requires all registered adult volunteers to take Youth Protection Training (available online).   The training is valid for 2 years.
  • Must register with the troop in order to go camping. If transferring from a Pack with which you just rechartered, then you've already paid for the year. Thereafter, it costs the rechartering fee each year ($24 BSA + $4 for insurance). If you did not recharter with the Pack, then it costs $28.
  • Attend monthly Adult Leaders meeting and Troop Committee meeting.
  • Need adults to serve on Troop Committee: Secretary, Fundraising, Assistant Treasurer, Advancement Chairperson, Board of Review Coordinator, etc.  (Troop Committee training)
  • Need adults to serve as merit badge counselors.  MBC Training is required
  • Assistant Scoutmasters are required to take two in-person training courses: Scoutmaster Specific (S24 - Indoor) and Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills (S11 - IOLS/Outdoor).

How to Join

  • Meet the joining requirements: 11 years old. If only 10, must either complete 5th grade or earn the Webelos “Arrow of Light Award”. Scouts typically cross over between Feb.-April.
  • Recharter on-time with your Cub Scout Pack, and then cross over (transfer) up to the Boy Scout Troop.  Boys new to BSA can join a troop directly if they meet the age requirement. 
  • Turn in a new or transfer application, current medical form (Parts ABC and insurance card), Scout data sheet, and joining fee (above) to Troop 720.
  • Get your uniform:  Parents buy a Boy Scout uniform shirt, pants, socks, belt, World Crest emblem and council strip at the Scout Shop.  The Troop provides: troop numerals & green shoulder loops for your shirt, a troop neckerchief with slide, a troop hat and a troop t-shirt.
  • For adults to join, they must fill out a new or transfer Adult Application, a medical form, complete the online Youth Protection Training and print the certificate, and pay any fees.

  v. 2018Jan